"If we're growing, we're always going to be out of our comfort zone." ~John Maxwell

"Enthusiasm is excitement with inspiration, motivation, and a pinch of creativity." ~Bo Bennett

"The most valuable thing you can make is a mistake - you can't learn anything from being perfect." ~Adam Osborne

Sunday, April 4, 2010

The Boys from Beantown "Bring it"

Baseball's opening day is an annual celebration which marks the fact that not only has spring arrived, but that summer is not all that far away. Baseball is one of the few sports I enjoy watching and to those who know me it is no secret which team I root for. I've been a Red Sox fan for my entire life. In fact, I would never have made it to adulthood if I had chosen to root, root, root for another team.

Baseball fans are a funny breed. They cheer for and stand behind their respective teams, regardless of how the season is going. I should know; I've spent many, many years standing behind the Sox, and remaining steadfast only to watch the lead fade away as the season progressed. Call it what you will; bad luck, poor playing; or the curse of the Babe; regardless of the reason, The members of the Red Sox Nation have long been accustomed to disappointment. I've seen the team come close to many World Series wins, only to lose at the last minute. Certainly one of the most memorable was coming in second in 1978.

In fact, I do love watching them play now, but when I think of the team my first thought goes to the 1978 lineup. It may be because I listen to the games on the radio with my grandmother, or watched the games on the television on warm summer evenings with my dad. Most likely it is because the players of the 1978 team seemed to demonstrate all that is good about baseball. Players like Yaz, Jim Rice, "Butch" Hobson, Dwight Evans, Carlton Fisk, and players like Luis Tiant, Mike Torrez, Dennis Eckersley, and the wild "Spaceman" Bill Lee, graced the mound. Most of them were in it for the team, for the win. They demonstrated a loyalty to their club that is almost unknown today. Of course, this was before the days of "free agents"; back when guys signed on to a team and many of them planned to retire with that very team. Today's players could learn a lot from these guys.

Sunday April, 4th was opening day for the Sox. The icing on the cake is that we were pit against the Yankees. I'm sure you've heard of the Hatfields and the McCoys? Well the bad blood between the Sox and the Yanks is even worse. It helps to play on the home turf, but even so, the team played well. Dustin Padroia played well and we took the game, 9-7. Sox fans know better than to gloat, especially with an entire season ahead, so I will hold my "neaner, neaner,neaner" type comments. Let's just say that I am one happy Sox fan.

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I are big Brewer fans, so I know what you mean about baseball season finally getting here. We like to go to at least one game a summer. If not at a game you can be sure we are either listening to them on the radio or watching them in T.V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, every Brewers fan I've met has that same enthusiastic affection for baseball. I hope to see a Brewers game in Milwaukee this year.

    The hardest thing for me is not being able to watch the games. I can see the Sox play if they are playing one of the "local" teams or if the game is broadcast on ESPN, but otherwise I have to listen to the broadcasts on streaming audio through my computer. ;-(

    ReplyDelete